How to determine if you have legitimate Frontline products:
This information was provided by the EPA in 2004 and presented for informational purposes only.
If there is a sticker on the outside of the retail carton with information such as the EPA registration number and/or the animal body weight for the product, then it is not EPA-registered Frontline product. Legitimate products do not have these stickers.
The lot number on the retail carton should match the lot number on the applicator package insert and/or the individual applicator.
The instruction leaflet should be included. It provides the following information: first aid statements, including emergency telephone numbers; precautionary statements for humans and pets; directions for use; frequency of use; and storage and disposal statements.
The product should be packaged in child-resistant packaging. The directions for opening the child-resistant package contain illustrations that actually look like the applicator package insert. The directions include "To Remove Applicator: Use scissors or lift and remove plastic tab to expose foil, then pull down."
The individual applicator should have a label that includes the:
- Registrant's name (Merial), and the product name;
- EPA registration number the net contents in fluid ounces (fl. oz., not metric measure, i.e., ml);
- Percentage (%) of active ingredients. (Fipronil for Frontline Top Spot products, and Fipronil and (S)-methoprene for Frontline Plus products);
- Animal on which the product is to be used;
- Statements: "CAUTION, Keep out of reach of children," and "See full label for additional directions."
Counterfeit versions of the following EPA-registered products have been identified.
- Frontline Top Spot for Cats (EPA Reg. No. 65331-2)
- Frontline Top Spot for Dogs (EPA Reg. No. 65331-3)
- Frontline Plus for Cats (EPA Reg. No. 65331-4)
- Frontline Plus for Dogs (EPA Reg. No. 65331-5)
All text is in English.
Note the notch between the individual applicator packages on the authentic Merial Frontline, which is missing on counterfeit products.
All text is in English ONLY and may vary with animal treated.
Authentic Merial Advantage applicator has a notch between the individual applicator packages, which generally are absent on counterfeit products.
All text is in English only
The unregistered Merial Frontline product does not have notches between the individual packages.
The real Merial Frontline product applicator package insert should look like this sample.
Note the applicator differences in the unregistered product version of the Merial Frontline product.